A Little Berry


I had so much fun writing "Little Berry." Believe it or not, she was one of my very first characters that I ever made.

Back in grade school, I had nothing to give to my mom for her birthday, so I made a picture book for her, and Little Berry, who's name was Melly at the time, was the main character. She was trying to get a pot of honey for her little sister's birthday.


I had thought of publishing these little stories, but set it aside. So now, years later, I thought of Melly again, and decided to write a short story for her. Stretching something so tiny as getting a pot of honey for a birthday made me wonder if I should just make a whole new story altogether.

So I did, and Melly's name changed a few times until I decided on Little Berry. I moved my fairies into more of an American Indian garb. They live in a forest on the reservation and are called tree people. The big house in the story belongs to people living off of it, but right on the border.

I decided on this house being so secluded because one day I had to pick someone up and I took a wrong turn. I ended up driving along a dark dirt road for a while, and suddenly came upon this big house in the middle of nowhere. This house was close to the reservation line and looked similar to the one in the story.


Melly going after a pot of honey for a birthday became Little Berry going after medicine for her dad who had been wounded by a cat.

I think this story may be my favorite short story to date. You can click on ONLINE PUBLICATIONS to read "Little Berry" for free, or you can just click here.

Don't forget to buy a copy of my dark fantasy "Pariahs" here.

In a land of monsters and soulless creatures, there is a secluded compound terrorized by a fallen demon-killer, the Grand Apwor. He's claimed its youngest occupant Vijeren as his son. The Grand Apwor can’t be killed, he can’t be escaped, and his punishments are severe and horrific. Somehow, he knows where Vijeren is at all times. When a law enforcer named Zhin appears like a living flame, a family war that's been sizzling for decades finally ignites. It drags Vijeren in, revealing secrets of a long-forgotten past and a family torn asunder in recesses of lost memories. Only Zhin knows how to kill the Grand Apwor, but the answer rests on the love between a father and son--something that Vijeren doesn’t have...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Me and My Dogs