A deadly little sunbeam: Rilkin

Rilkin started out as a...I don't know. He was just a character who showed up with a serious presence. I think he came in around page 600 in the notebook. I liked him so much that I put him in the beginning as a school teacher who hated kids. He only liked Vijeren because Vijeren didn't annoy him. Pretty soon, it was like, Rilkin's not a school teacher.

I thought maybe he's undercover...for what? I made up a situation that didn't work, but it transformed into the main conflict that it is today, and a law enforcer Rilkin remained. Even though I was all over the place, the idea of Rilkin's occupation was one of the first permanent pieces of "Pariahs."

I had several variations of Rilkin's personality, obviously the one where he hated kids, and now he loves them. He used to be a strict person with no humor. Now he's the exact opposite, and I like him better that way.

Lots of people on Ilo think he's baby cute. What do you think? Does he look like he can infiltrate dangerous circles and kill people with relative ease?

Now that Rilkin had detected his contact, he thrust the curtain aside with a great big "SATHILLA!" Sunlight shone in behind him, his energy flooding the compartment. -Pariahs, chapter 4,  p. 38
Drawing by Nicomelia Benally

Buy "Pariahs" here on Amazon.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Me and My Dogs