The Ruins of "Embers"

I've always enjoyed abandoned areas as settings. They give me a kind of creepy joy. This is partly why "Headlights" is one of my favorite short stories.

For "Embers," I wasn't sure what the setting would be, because I thought of moving Zhin's band elsewhere. I didn't like the settings of these places, though. Finally, I alighted on the one idea that made sense: the ruined Sirix city. Everybody's jacked up from the first book, and this abandoned city is perfect to recover in.

Note: Ilings are tougher in make-up than Earthlings. I had written this in during the first drafts and the beta readers had no problem not reading it in the final, but it seems some people are confused. So here it is. I say this, because some people will definitely ask how they could recover without a hospital, or in the Visserian tongue, a vozhrith.

These pictures are the closest I could come to what the place looks like. First, the abandoned library, which is in good condition since it's underground and was closed up.


I thought this was near perfect, but there are more floors and there are no windows. Just beautiful.


Outside, there are multiple towers and bridges connecting other towers. This thing just lacks the white stone the towers are made of, and the multitude of green vines and yellow flowers festooning it.


Then of course, there's the entrance to the library. It's a pot similar to this one. Just stick it in the middle of a stone courtyard and add about thirty or so feet to its size.


"Embers" is due out this year, even if it murders me. The cover design is underway and the book is in its final stages. Quite as exciting as being pounced by a retsinist, I dare say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews