Some editing tips

Have you looked at the prices of editing and realized that you would rather die than pay that? Plus, you have to do a lot of research, CAREFUL research, so you won't end up paying a con artist to do absolutely nothing. If you find an awesome editor, great! But if you'd rather go it alone, then here's a few tips on self editing.

Don't edit as you write. Get that story down first, because suppose you do edit as you write and then find out you want to do a whole re-write? An unnecessary waste of brain if you ask me. It would be like wading through a mire next to the bridge you could have crossed instead.

After all that's done, I start going through the chopping process, asking myself, "What/who doesn't fit?" "What/who makes no sense?" "Does this/person add to the story?" "Is my timing right?" "Would this scene be better here?" According to word count, how messy and clunky would something be if you kept it? You don't want to have something start in the day and then suddenly it's night IN THE SAME SCENE. How embarrassing. Chopping can be pretty fun. Get out your knives, stand over it and "MWAHAHAHAHA!!!"

I then start rearranging sentences. Each one counts. Cut down what feels too wordy. If you learn new skills during the story writing, apply them with vigor. It'll make you look more awesome. What I have problems with are what I call "glass pieces." They're so smooth, so flat, so perfect and unmoving. Break it up with a sledgehammer of dialogue, thoughts, actions, reactions, interactions, and not only will you edit well, your character is developed at the same time without telling about them at all.

I have someone read my piece to me out loud. Whenever they stumble over words I know that place isn't smooth and I have to fix it. If they turn to me all confused and ask too many questions I know I didn't make something clear. When they don't want to read anymore, warning bell, something's boring. They may not know what it is, but you will.

I read it backwards to myself. You know how in art some people will draw upside down? Same concept with writing. Turn it upside down and you'll see what needs help. Each sentence will be isolated and what is happening in the story line won't distract you.

After that, I let the story rest a day or two and I read it over again, making changes where it's needed. Sometimes I do that a few times. Something will nag at me. If I can't tell right then what it is, I put it away until the next day or after lunch, or whatever. I keep on until the nagging goes away. In that REALLY SLOW process, I find redundancies, words that had belonged in the 1st draft that I forgot to erase, typos, all that mess.

I also find that writing down the problems in a list helps a lot. I don't forget and as I fix and fix, I can check off each problem. It gives me a sense of security. Another thing is writing down your own problems as a writer. Do you use too many adverbs? Problems with redundancies? What about passive sentences? Or no passive sentences? Write them down, that way as you go through, you won't forget where your problem spots are and you can tackle them in the editing process.

Just like designing a room, after you finish with the paints on the wall, the furniture, the flooring, the fluidity of the room, you need accessories. Add those pretty tidbits that will really make the story pop. A flash of color here, something shiny there, a lovely description to make your reader feel and see.

If you have any other tips, feel free to comment below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews