I played Mommy, and they didn't know!

The other day, I had to take my sister to see her school counselor before school started. The counselors thought I was an incoming freshman, except one. She thought I was my sister's mother. Now if that were so, I would have given birth at eleven. What was going on in that woman's head? I have no clue. Maybe it was the color of my skin.

Anyway, I didn't even correct her when she said she had been wanting to see me about some school stuff and a few problems my sister-daughter had. I was like, "Okay!" I sat down in the mommy chair and had a nice chat, and some problems worked out and a school schedule and a clear path to graduation for my sister.

My other sister sat in back with a grin on her face and the sister that we were there for rolled with the punches, too. It was pretty awesome. A stink man came in and left a stench in the room. Next time he came in I covered my nose. A woman with an attitude of "woman power" walked in and interrupted the meeting to announce that the power was going off in fifteen minutes and commenced speaking to the air-headed counselor for another ten. And then the top idiot showed up. She had seen the real mom dozens of times and couldn't hack why the current mom looked fourteen, and then I got a hug at the end of it. I suppose they thought I was a single struggling teenage mom with a teenage daughter.

Should I have been insulted? Of course not! Do you know what a gold mine that was for story and character ideas? It's so great to watch people in their own element, when they think a "stupid, dirty Native" is in the room. Little did they know that they became my experiment, my little rats in a box, my bugs under glass, my germs in the petri dish! Mwahahahaha!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews