The Music of "Pariahs"


While I wrote "Pariahs," I listened to various soundtracks over the years, and of course the music changed before and after the book erased.

In the first stages of "Pariahs," the main music that I listened to was from Enya. I played her songs "Fairytale," "Epona," "Bard Dance" and "The Celts" over and over again. Along with that, I listened to the soundtrack from Braveheart, and The Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

"Pariahs" was a full fantasy, with nothing scary in it. The main story line was just about a boy running away from home because he was dissatisfied with it. The story was full of dragons and regular earth creatures, and regular earth vegetation. My creatures were humanoids, but not really human. There wasn't any real societies, norms, or anything.

And then the story gained some monsters, like vampires, zombies, demons, werewolves, so the typical things. I started listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees for those parts, in particular "Peek-A-Boo."

Then one day, bam, I realized, "This is not earth. This is on a different planet. It needs its own trees, vegetation, animals, and it definitely needs its own monsters. So I scrapped the dragons, and turned them into something else. I tossed out the vampires, werewolves, and everything else. Setting the book aside, I began a huge redesign of my planet, and a creation of monsters with their own rules. With that, came a world design to deal with the monsters. For this, I had no music. I just curled up with a drawing pad.

I called the main villain a demon. In a sense, he is, but I got rid of the demons, and I made something else. The main villain is a special monster.

And then the book erased. But I still had the monsters and the planet design. As I began the resurrection of "Pariahs," the music changed.

First, there was Micheal Jackson's "Will You Be There" from Free Willy, and "If We Hold On Together" from the first Land Before Time. Nolwenn Leroy's music joined the group, along with Silent Hill's "Hell's Frozen Rain." To add to the mix, I picked up some pretty awesome German music. A lot of the time, I listened to the soundtracks for "Sense and Sensibility" and "The Sound of Music." For some reason, I could think clearly while listening to these last two, and I was able to work my way out of some tight spots.

And when I was done, I was told the story had a dark tension to it, and some really freaky monsters. With what I was listening to, who knew?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews