A sneak peek of "Renzhies," pt. 1: a rare writing technique

The Sirix Ruins

Renzhies is coming in a few weeks!

All main characters are returning from "Nri Kryne" and you get to see what happens to them while they're in the Sirix ruins.

I wrote this book different from the first, and it's not just a change of the main character. While Vijeren is still there and lights up the scene, he'll be taking a back seat. He doesn't mind, either. He went through so much in the last book that he really wanted a rest before he took the torch of main character again.

Zhin will be taking over.

The ruins near nightfall

When I first began to write "Renzhies," I started out the book in third person and wrote it kind of like a mystery of who was who and what not. Then I realized it didn't work in that way. At the same time, the events were right.

What was happening in the ruins was right, too, but that was in the present. So how could I mesh the two together? I couldn't get rid of one or the other because both time periods belonged. They completed each other, but I just didn't know how. It was a gut feeling at the time. My brain had it rough.

A book case from the underground library

And then, I was reading Watership Down. It clicked. Zhin would tell the important tales of his life, but they wouldn't be random. They would all have a purpose. Somehow, these tales would have to come together at the end and have a huge impact on the present. That part was so difficult to do, but I knew I had something special. After pain, suffering, and a million prayers, I ended up with stories told in first and third person, while in the present, the story is told in third person omniscient. Running through the whole thing is a despicable, wretch of a villain who just won't go away and won't die.

You'll also get to see Rilkin's origins. There's more to him than I let on in "Nri Kryne." He will jump in and tell you his own story in his lazy Vaylanian way as the book nears the climax.

The Child City at dusk

The present will get more into the growing relationships between the characters, but is careful not to drag. It's spiced up with new creatures, including the behemoth haladon, whose only debut in the first book were giant claw marks through pure stone in the Sirix ruins.

The Haladon



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews