Headlights, an anniversary in publishing!

I adore the Horror Zine. I love it's stories, and I love that it likes mine. There was one thing that I didn't expect. It was born on my birthday, and it began in 2009, the very year I started my long journey on the road to publishing. I had no clue what I was doing, or even how to begin, but I plunged in.


I really loved creating Headlights. It's also my first story published in first person present. There's always those creepy orange streetlights. They're especially eerie when nobody is around. Walking around Provo, Utah between nine and ten at night didn't help either. The streets were empty, but lights were on, and it reminded me of a nightmare I had.

It was a vivid nightmare. I was running from a monster riding a black horse in an abandoned city lighted with the orange streetlights. Parts of the story incorporate different scenes and settings from either this same nightmare, or other vivid nightmares I had. Being chased by some relentless creature always freaks me out.

When I first began short stories, I wrote about this particular nightmare in the abandoned city. I had called the story The Twilight City. It didn't get accepted anywhere. It was trash, but the idea stayed. I have several short stories turning to mulch, where this theme is prevalent.

I guess it wasn't time, not until the anniversaries collided, to call forth the dawn of a new age! I begin a new journey starting in November. This year, Pariahs is coming out. It's a dark fantasy filled with horror and high adventure. It's part of a series, although I intend each book to stand alone, just in case I drop dead and leave the readers on a cliffhanger. Of course there will be hints at other things, but no "set up" book for the next book, if you know what I mean.

Come read Headlights here for free, and I hope you enjoy. And as always, those of you who don't like cursing, or skin, this is safe to read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews