Thankful for heat, a harbinger of weather

Heads up, I hate the heat. It doesn't agree with me. Too much of it means fire season and danger of evacuation. Everything wilts and everything gets dusty. When it's cold, it's called a jacket. When it's hot and you have no AC...uh...get naked? I'm not about that life. Having lived in Arizona heat down in Mesa, with nothing but a swamp cooler was like, how am I even alive and lucid today? Okay, maybe not too lucid, BUT...

I've realized something. Where I live, heat is a harbinger of weather conditions. People always say the old Natives know about the weather no matter where they live or what sort of climate.

My grandpa used to be able to tell the weather and he was always right, unlike the weather station. One day, legit, they thought there wasn't a cloud in Arizona. They said this while a snowstorm was blasting outside my window. For any of you who don't know, Arizona has cold parts with pine trees and mountains.

Many think this weather knowledge is lost, but I do believe the old people learned their weather by just watching it and noting the signs. I did this when I was going to school in Utah. The weather would get extremely hot and muggy right before a storm. Watching and waiting, I took note. Yes, every single time it got unusually hot and horrible, a storm would hit, whether it was rain or snow. In the winter, it would get warmer than usual, and then BAM.

When I came back to Arizona, I wondered if that would be the same. For a while, it wasn't. Arizona had different ways to tell the weather, and these ways are still legit. One is that there's an aura around the moon, when the crescent moon is tipped over like a cup spilling water, when the clouds look like a big washboard, when you can hear the frogs singing at night, and now, heat. Yes. Hot and muggy, unusually horrible, and then the storm. Everything cools off--at least in my neck of Arizona.

I was no good at telling it when I was younger. I was a 90's kid and I didn't have time for weather. I was all about cartoons, toys, escaping the bullies at school, and trying to get a swing at lunch recess.

So now, when the heat comes, I'm thankful for it. I'm glad Heavenly Father put it here, because now heat means something good is coming. Blessed relief is coming.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews