Awesome Writing Quotes

I love reading writing quotes. They don't just teach, but they also let me know I'm going in the right direction. Here are a few that I love.

"If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood."
-Peter Handke


"If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it. Or, if proper usage gets in the way, it may have to go. I can't allow what we learned in English composition to disrupt the sound and rhythm of the narrative."
-Elmore Leonard

"If you tell the reader that Bull Beezely is a brutal-faced, loose-lipped bully, with snake's blood in his veins, the reader's reaction may be, "Oh, yeah!" But if you show the reader Bull Beezely raking the bloodied flanks of his weary, sweat-encrusted pony, flogging the tottering, red-eyed animal with a quirt, or have him booting in the protruding ribs of a starved mongrel and, boy, the reader believes!"
-Fred East


"I would advise anyone who aspires to a writing career that before developing his talent he would be wise to develop a thick hide."
-Harper Lee

"I don't need an alarm clock. My ideas wake me."
-Ray Bradbury


"Beware of advice-even this."
-Carl Sandburg

"Let the world burn through you. Throw the prism of light, white hot, on paper."
-Ray Bradbury


"I don't believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously."
-Ray Bradbury

"It's none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way."
-Ernest Hemingway

"Keep a small can of WD-40 on your desk-away from any open flames-to remind yourself that if you don't write daily, you will get rusty."
-George Singleton

"There is only one plot-things are not what they seem."
-Jim Thompson

"Anyone who is going to be a writer knows enough at 15 to write several novels."
-Mary Sarton

"The most beautiful things are those that madness prompts and reason writes."
-Andre Gide


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews