Lost in Gallup, New Mexico on MLK Day

Several weeks ago, my brother and I were asked to pick a woman up from Gallup, New Mexico and bring her to Pinetop, AZ. She was going to be nursing another woman back to health who had to get a major stomach surgery.

I'd never been to Gallup in my life. I passed it on the freeway once going to Albuquerque. Times are hard and I was going to make money with this, so I was like, okay! Let's go to this totally unknown place.

We had instructions, me and my brother had figured out who was driving first and second, we had our snacks, we cleaned out the car, and then Sunday night the tribe went on lockdown. We were being essentials, though, so we cut out the next morning for New Mexico.

I should have seen the signs when we stopped at Speedway for gas. Speedway has the slowest gas pumps on the planet. 19 bucks and I was standing there for 15 minutes.

Getting to Holbrook and then jumping on the freeway was easy. I drove all the way to Gallup and got off at the exit that the instructions had indicated. Next on the list was "cross the bridge onto the old highway 66." Well which way do we go to cross it? Left, right, or straight? And I didn't see any highway 66.

We had to make a choice and of course we took the wrong one. We ended up on the freeway again and left Gallup. We were now headed for the capital. We got off the next exit and turned around, but for some reason the freeway was off to my left.

Where was I? What planet was I on? How did I get on this dinky, little road? At a complete loss, I followed it and ended up back in Gallup. I called the woman we were supposed to pick up and told her I was lost. I gave her where I was and then she said, "I have no idea where you are."

It was settled. I was going to die.

I started driving around, me and my brother searching for the landmark on the instructions. I totally know where all the slums are, where the people who live on the rich hill are, the favorite spot for beggars, the old buildings, the new ones, McDonald's, and the high school. The old Highway 66 appeared, along with other streets the instructions said to go on, but none of them connected. I know, I was there.

One day we found the house where the lady was waiting. I handed the wheel to my brother and now we had to find our way out of Gallup. At first we couldn't get in, and now we couldn't get out. We ended up crossing a bridge out, but it wasn't the same one we came in on.

I'd painted my nails all nice with gel polish, but after being lost in an unknown dimension of the world, I'd ripped all the paint off. My only comfort was that I hadn't bitten my nails off.

I fell asleep on the way home, but then I woke up and saw an exit reading ShowLow, which is near Pinetop. We were all the way on the other side of the freeway with these giant trucks lining every way into the exit. I was like, "hey!" I'd also been half asleep.

Pretty soon I recognized the Flagstaff Mountains. Ah! we were headed for Utah! We turned around again and I called my mom. Everybody was ready to yell at me, but I wasn't the driver! We finally made it back into Holbrook and then got lost in there because for some reason everybody was like, "Do you remember where the bus stop is?"

NO.

We eventually got out through a weird back road nobody knows exists and we made it to Pinetop.

So, on Martin Luther King day, while everyone was spouting things like, "I thought racism was dead" and "we all need to love each other," I was in Gallup screaming, "Somebody find me!"


PS: Nri Kryne is still available world wide on Amazon. Buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/Kryne-Monsters-Demons-Mara-Duryea/dp/B08GV97VHF



Comments

  1. Next time consult an expert on Gallup, like me. I used to do tours of various archaeological and anthropological places in the southwest for a local college and I spent a lot of time in Gallup. Long ago when I was young and foolish, I often disdained the appalling collection of crumbling motels and tourists traps that I thought represented Gallup. But now, much older, and having long ago developed a great appreciation for the place, I would not hesitate to return at a moment's notice. I would love to discuss with anyone interested, the many hidden beauties of this elusive gem. BTW, if you ever go again, do not, under any circumstances, fail to take in my singularly favorite Gallup locale, The West-End Deli (Westend?). Take the exit off freeway 40 (coming in from the Holbrook direction, i. e. from the southwest) onto old 66 and proceed toward town for about a mile or so, it will be on your left (north side of the road) just past the 7to11 convenience store. Best apple fritters in the known world. Also delectable carrot cake and superb sandwiches made on fresh rolls. Say 'Hi' to Mike, the owner, for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left Twitter. Now I'm free!

One Star Reviews Usually Reflect The Reader

Working with KDP vs Author Central on salvaging reviews